Are you ready to take the plunge into cold water swimming? Whether you're a seasoned pro or a beginner, having the right gear is essential for a safe and enjoyable experience. Here is a list of 10 essential items to consider when preparing for your first cold water dip
- Swimsuit or Wetsuit: Ideally choosing a slightly heavier neoprene swimsuit or wetsuit can provide extra insulation and keep your body warmer, allowing you to stay in the water for longer periods of time.
- Neoprene hat and gloves: A neoprene hat and gloves are essential for keeping your head and hands warm. They also help to prevent heat loss from the body's extremities, which can cause discomfort and even hypothermia.
- Wild & Free Cobe or similar swim robe: A Wild & Free Cobe or similar is a must-have for any cold water swimmer. They provide a convenient and safe way to get changed before and after your swim, protecting your modesty and most importantly get and keep you warm and dry super quick.
- Towel: A towel is essential for drying off after your swim. Choose a towel that is large enough to wrap around your body and made from a quick-drying material.
- Footwear: If you are a seasoned swimmer, adding a pair of neoprene socks or booties helps with warmth as our feet loose heat fastest, and they are also important for safety when entering and exiting the water. Choose shoes with good grip and that are easy to put on and take off.
- Wooly Hat and Sock s: A wooly hat is worn by many who are just going for a dip and will keep your head warm, or great to have both a wooly hat and socks to put on immediately after a swim to heat quickly.
- Goggles: Not necessary for everyone but for those with sensitive eyes, goggles are good for visibility in the water and to protect the eyes from the effects of salt water or chlorine.
- Safety equipment: Depending on the location and conditions of your swim, it may be necessary to bring safety equipment such as a buoyancy aid or life jacket.
- Hot Water Bottle: To feel extra warm after your swim, add a hot water bottle to the inside pocket of your swim robe and you will feel toasty straight after your swim.
- Flask and Treats 😋: Bringing a flask of hot tea or coffee is a great way to warm up after your swim and is a popular tradition amongst cold water swimmers. Add in a tasty sweet treat and share the love with your new swimming friends.
By having these essential items, you can ensure that your first cold water dip is a safe and enjoyable experience. So, grab your gear, take the plunge, and experience the exhilaration of cold water swimming!